Borussia Dortmund Sack Lucien Favre After 5-1 Home Defeat to Stuttgart

The defeat to Stuttgart has left the club five points behind Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich.

Borussia Dortmund Sack Lucien Favre After 5-1 Home Defeat to Stuttgart

Lucien Favre has been dismissed from his duties as the head coach of Borussia Dortmund in his third season after Saturday's 5-1 home defeat to newly-promoted Stuttgart. 

The defeat to Stuttgart has left the club five points behind Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich.

Edin Terzic, previously assistant coach, will take charge until the end of the season. Lucien Favre took charge at Dortmund after leaving French club OGC Nice in July 2018, had led the club to the Round of 16 in the Champions League as group winners ahead of Lazio.

"The club's board came to a unanimous decision due to the great risk to the team's targets for the season", said Dortmund's sporting director, Michael Zorc.

Dortmund Chief Executive, Hans - Joachim Watzke said: "We are all grateful to Lucien Favre for the superb job he has done over the last two-and-half years, achieving two runner-up finishes with his team. 

The 63-year-old was officially informed of the decision on Saturday evening, after the heavy loss to the Bundesliga new entrants which leaves Dortmund five points behind Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich.

The Yellow and Black club has been drawn against Sevilla in the Round of 16 of the UEFA Champions League.